I've really enjoyed seeing the "25 things you didn't know about me" meme making the rounds, so I thought I would chime in. Some of you may know some of these things, depending on how long you've been around me. However, I still thought it would be fun to see what I could come up with for my list. Here goes nothing!
1. I was an extra in Driving Miss Daisy. "Uncle Walter's birthday party" (the reason Hoke and Daisy go to Alabama) was filmed at my grandmother's house in Griffin, Georgia. My mom delivers the birthday cake and says, "Happy birthday, Uncle Walter!" If you know exactly where to look, you can see my grandmother seated at the table. And I am in front of the French doors talking to a guy from Georgia Tech and holding a root beer. (Picture of me with Morgan Freeman.)
2. I was born with a hole in my heart (atrial septal defect) that wasn't discovered until I was in graduate school. I had surgery to fix it in 1995. Afterward, the doctor told me I could play sports again, which made me laugh.
3. Speaking of sports, I enjoy watching college football. I got my master's at Florida State and went to the Sugar Bowl game (FSU/UF) in 1995. FSU won. :)
4. I met my husband online in 1997. My parents couldn't object too much - my brother and his wife met online and married in 1996.
5. I'm a huge Beatles fan and saw Paul McCartney in concert twice in Atlanta (1990 and 1993).
6. My initials are LAMB, and I collect sheep (but not real ones).
7. My favorite number is 7.
8. I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was in high school.
9. I worked in London, England, for four months in 1996. I was the computer lab supervisor for Florida State's study abroad program there.
10. I'm also a huge Monty Python fan and met Michael Palin at a book signing when I was in London.
11. While I was in London, I heard a sound one night that I assumed was thunder. It turned out it was an IRA bomb exploding in the other end of the city.
12. I once took Kate Pierson of the B-52's shopping for antiques in Macon, Georgia.
13. I won a statewide poetry contest in high school for a poem I wrote about a chocolate rabbit.
14. I own a pair of gold Disneyland "mouse ears," but I have never been to Disneyland. I have, however, been to Walt Disney World, and I have another day left on my ticket when I'm ready to go back.
15. I love cartoons, but only the good ones (Looney Tunes, Ren and Stimpy, the Smurfs, the Powerpuff Girls, and others are considered "good.").
16. I have kissed the Blarney Stone. Someday I will find the picture of that event and post it.
17. When I was about four, I overfed a fish that belonged to my brother. The fish died.
18. I taught myself to play the flute and played in high school band. Somewhere I have a band letter as well as an academic letter.
19. I was "STAR Student" (top SAT score) for my high school. I have recently reconnected with my "STAR Teacher" on Facebook.
20. I own a Chia Pet.
21. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Communist Party. In fact, I'm not a member of any party.
22. My husband used to teach martial arts, and I decided to take lessons from him. I made it to green-purple belt, and I loved breaking boards!
23. I cannot stand sauerkraut, but I will eat boiled okra like it's goin' out of style.
24. The first records I ever bought were 45rpms of "Stars on 45" and Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts." I think I still have them.
25. I was president of the drama support group in college. We coordinated cast parties, found ushers for the plays, helped backstage, and did service projects. I dressed up as "Octopuff," an anti-smoking octopus, for the American Lung Association on more than one occasion.
And if knowing is half the battle, you should be in pretty good shape! Want to play along? Consider yourself tagged, and feel free to post your own list!