Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 6: What's Your Calling?

"For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." - Romans 12:4-8, NIV


Today I had a terrific meeting with my faculty reading group. We've been looking at The Heart of Higher Education as we move toward an integrative learning framework this fall. One of the professors mentioned "vocation" and "calling." I wondered what, if anything, my few readers had to say about that? Do you feel like your job is just that? A job? Maybe a piece of a career? Or is it what you were called by some higher power to do?



I've had two former colleagues say that they saw in me a spiritual gift of administration. I hope they're right. 


During our discussion today I had a current colleague thank me for the "energy" I brought to the conversation. I think I was energetic because I felt passionate about what we were discussing. It feels like when you love what you're talking about, you have an innate energy to provide to others.


A few years ago, someone asked if I considered myself a "minister," because he saw my job that way. I haven't seen that in myself, but it has caused me to ponder. Am I ministering to others in what I do? Am I in my current position for a reason? Whose needs am I meeting?


What about you? Are you using your gifts in your workplace? How?


© Laura M. Botts, 2012  


  

No comments: