Friday, February 24, 2012

3rd Day of Lent, or "A Blogger in Search of a Topic"

"Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." - Proverbs 3: 7-8, NIV


As I was thinking about what to write today, I tried to remember what had happened at work. I spent two hours in a meeting with our faculty senate, which is always interesting, but which didn't really yield any blog fodder. I also worked on a request from the university's marketing department for photos and captions from 100, 50, and 25 years ago. Also interesting, but not terribly exciting.


Then I thought back to early this morning. I was chatting with a colleague when our administrative assistant appeared and presented me with a gift. Ok, it was really for my department, but you get the idea.


She handed me a brand new first aid kit for Special Collections. It doesn't have everything we'd need for a serious emergency, of course, but it has bandages, an ice pack, some painkillers, and other assorted basics for everyday boo-boos. Sometimes that's all we need: enough to get by until we recover on our own.


Sometimes, though, that's not enough. We need real healing. Sustenance. Repair. Something that goes deeper than a Band-Aid®. We need something to heal the deepest wounds of our hearts and souls. For the Christian, that something is God, accessible to us via prayer, whether in audible or silent words, or even in our "wordless groans," as in Romans 8:26.


Do you need something more than a bandage and a painkiller? See if talking to God will make a bigger difference for you. It certainly can't hurt.






© Laura M. Botts, 2012 


     













No comments: