I've been reading some of the comments (e.g., at Dances with Books and The Annoyed Librarian) and decided I would add a few items of my own. Please note that although I have looked at the list in the past, I have not memorized all of the previous entries. I apologize if I duplicate some things that have been said before.
I started college in 1989, when most of this year's freshmen were born. Here are some things I have to say about this age group and their realm (not necessarily using 1989 as the "starting point"; how many of us remember much before we were 3 or 4?):
- Ricky Martin has always been a solo artist. (Menudo, anyone?)
- They have no idea who Willis is or what he's talking about.
- The Simpsons have always been on TV. M*A*S*H has also been on, but only in syndication.
- "New Coke" was never an option.
- They have always had cartoons on some channel at any given time - not just on Saturday mornings.
- Chances are they have never worn a Members Only jacket, Swatch watch, or leg warmers.
- Their parents fought over Furbys while Christmas shopping, not Cabbage Patch Kids.
I'm sure I'll think of other things. Feel free to add your own in the comments.